Posts Tagged ‘atheists’
Dustin Phelps, a Mormon writer on the “Happiness Seekers” website, has written a blog article on “The Alarming Truth about Anti-Mormonism.” Within a few days it had over 30,000 “shares” on social media. In his article, Phelps claims “to expose what anti-Mormonism is and what its objectives really are.” The objective is to make Mormons become atheists:
Anti-Mormonism isn’t just about getting people to lose faith in our Church, it’s about getting people to lose faith in God, in Christ, in revelation, in religion. Once you’ve tasted the sweetest and most perfect form of Christianity, where else will you go when you leave?
Phelps arrives at this conclusion by the following reasoning:
- “Basically every reason to doubt Mormonism is a good reason to doubt Christianity.”
- Thus, arguments against Mormonism are really arguments against Christianity.
- Once people lose faith in Christianity, they become atheists.
- Therefore, presenting arguments against Mormonism turns Mormons into atheists.
He also restates his argument as follows:
- Any arguments against Joseph Smith being a prophet also apply to the biblical prophets.
- Thus, once one accepts arguments against Joseph Smith being a prophet, one has no sources of revelation about Christ and God that one can accept.
- Therefore, any arguments against Joseph Smith as a prophet lead people to abandon belief in Christ and God.
Let’s look at these arguments, both of which turn on their first premises. Read the rest of this entry »